Thursday, April 11, 2013

"Why Businesses Should Commit to Environmental Initiatives"


In my paper, I will try to make the claim that big businesses do have something to gain from using “green” initiatives in their production or distribution processes. While this article is very closely related to my topic, it calls for a “commit[ment]” from businesses and I am simply asking for businesses to consider my stance.

I first found this article as a PDF on Google, and I noticed that all of the authors had some relation to a company called “Tefen”. After doing some research about the company, I realized that this article came from a business management magazine called The Tefen Tribune. The article is lengthy and uses technical terms, but the biggest reason I think it is scholarly is because it uses a visual aid, which is paired with a description, to link a critic’s viewpoint to the viewpoint of the authors.

After the fall of communism in Romania, the country joined the European Union and was expected to quickly comply with strict environmental regulations. The authors explain that it was easier for big businesses (as opposed to small businesses) to implement high environmental standards of protection because they could come up with investments more easily.
The increase in energy costs is encouraging people to invest in manufacturing technologies, so companies get funding for these projects more quickly.
Misrepresentation of products and competitors are two issues in society that can make or break a company.

I think that this article does convey a successful rhetorical message because of the authors’ use of pathos.  The last section of the article emphasizes the words “bond” and “admiration” when discussing employee relationships within a company and a company’s relationship with its consumers. The authors make the reader feel like the use of environmental initiatives is a positive step for big businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment